View Single Post
      12-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #65
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
OK...now I will be arguementative...from Tirerack testing...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=109

The braking comparison measured the tires' ability to provide traction during an ABS-assisted panic stop in a straight line. We drove the two Cayennes side-by-side at a speed of 30 mph, gave both drivers a braking signal at the prescribed mark and compared the distances it took them to come to a complete stop. The winter tire-equipped Cayenne stopped in an average distance of about 61 feet, while the all-season tire-equipped Cayenne took 102 feet (an additional 41 feet or about two and one-half car lengths). A 41-foot difference in stopping distance during a panic stop at 30 mph on a snow-packed road is more than enough to determine whether it's a near miss or an accident!

Additionally, while the all-wheel drive Cayenne offered noticeably faster acceleration than the rear-wheel drive sedan, the winter tire-equipped BMW's 59-foot stopping distance and all-season tire-equipped 89-foot stopping distance showed that all-wheel drive didn't really offer a measurable advantage when it came to stopping.

I did prior to posting and could find no objective evidence to support your opinion that AWD vehicles stop better than RWD vehicles in limited traction situations.
That has to be the most ridiculous braking comparison I have ever seen. Only one question: How much do each of those vehicles weigh. I have no doubt the cayenne is heavier. Weight has a huge affect on braking over snow/ice.

Not that I agree standard braking is improved with AWD, but engine braking and cornering is improved with AWD in slick conditions.
Appreciate 0