10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
Thanks bdardashti. I do like the iPhone for the reasons you mentioned, but just a few clarifications:

- I thought the 'Bluetooth music streaming' was a RIM integration feature not iPod according to the sticky post, although I don't see why it would be limited to a RIM phone.
- From what I've read, the BlackBerry email and text messages would not only be onscreen, but also read aloud to you a la text-to-speech, which seems pretty cool to me. Is the Cover Flow only for iPod - I would've thought any mp3 w/ cover art would work even from USB key for example - no?
- BT music streaming is honestly not an Apple or RIM feature - Bluetooth foundation (or w/e their name is) made it, and Apple, RIM, and BMW are all supporting it (amongst other makers). Basically any device with BT A2DP (which means stereo audio streaming) would work with the BMW system.
- That's true, it is also read out, but you can get text to speech to read a bunch of things. If the iPhone text does in fact get on the iDrive display, you'll be able to listen to those as well. But email is limited to BB, at least for the time being.

My car is here tomorrow and although I'm not taking delivery until the 25th, I'm going to drop in the next few days and check it out. I'll figure out exactly how it works with my iPhone 4 and will report back. If you don't see a post from me, feel free to msg me by Friday.
Appreciate 0