03-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #91
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Yes, I made this statement quite a while ago, based on Mr.5's datalogging on his manual at the track. I have long since realized my error. I currently believe what you have been stating all along about water temps. It probably acounts for 1/2 of limp mode codes thrown at the track, especially in the automatic. I have an auto, and my first track event will be on the 22nd of may. I have now retrofitted an ar design oil cooler, and will also flush out my radiator with prestone radiator flush. I will be running a coolant additive + 30% coolant/70% water, in the hopes of lower water temps. Finally, I will be running with the car's heater on. Hopefully, I can get 3-5 laps per session out of her.
These limp modes are easy to detect, as thehack said you lose power before the dash lits up like a christmas tree. I've had many of these last year but sadly I was not keeping track of details then, I now have a detailed log per session and per limp mode.

Here's what I've seen so far:

-coolant-based limp mode: loss of power, followed by half-engine light/engine malfunction warning several seconds later. No error codes other than 3100 (limp)

- oil-based limp mode: loss of power and simultaneous half-engine light/engine malfunction warning. Again it could be my imagination but once you hit 285F, the jump to 300F occurs very fast. No error codes other than 3100 (limp)

- VANOS. simultaneous loss of power and warning lights. 2a87 (exhaust solenoid) and 3100 codes.

I'm also hoping that the STETT oil cooler and a coolant additive will help the overall system survive a track session, we'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0