09-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
For me, the looks did it. 335 is so sexy.

Generally the evo and sti will be quicker at the dig, but they will have a harder time with rolling starts. Remember, they weight A LOT LESS. I mean a LOT LESS. And they have about the same amount of HP and TQ (just available in a very narrow rpm range. You shift a lot with these cars.).

One thing with launching an evo or sti hard is that you have to rev the piss out of it, and you have to modulate your clutch release. If you dump it, your rpm will drop (awd = no slip) and you lose boost. If you let the clutch out too slow you just smell burnt clutch and you don't go very fast either. So it's a lot more involved.
335's nice low end torque means you just rev it a little, get it rolling and gun it. It's a lot more driver friendly. Generally, if you did the same in an evo, you would be watching the clock waiting for the lag to be over.

Build quality is pretty much whatever. People complain, but I've never had any drivetrain/engine issues. My car is mechanically perfect. Everyone I know has had 0 mechanical issues with theirs. The biggest issue I've had with my evo is that the little plastic liner that goes around the front window is a little loose on the right side.

EVO plastic throttle petal is new for the X.
Transmission issues are 'heard of' but no one has met anyone that had the problem. (remember 335 has had talk of turbo overheat, fuel pump failure... I haven't met anyone with these problem either. But I've heard of em.)
Subaru warranty is nice. They cover anything that isn't modded.
Mitsubishi warranty is crap. You mod anything and it's just voided (unless the dealer feels like being nice to you).

EVO and STI are just cheap to make fast.
EVO with $5k in mods will hit 520 awhp. For a car that weighs a few hundred pounds less than a 335, it will just plain destroy a 335 for less than the base price of a 335. (well, a IX will. X is a little too expensive, and heavier than the IX)
But you don't but a BMW because it's the fastest thing for the price paid. You buy a bmw because you want a nice car that is the bridge between pure performance and luxury.

-scheherazade
Well said.

I can't comment on the STi build, but the Evo is like a honda civic on the inside. Cheap plastic, cheap radio, but at least you get recaro's that are semi comfy. There are known syncro issues, as well as cheap stock clutch, transfer case that is brittle, and rotors that warp on heavy tracking. I've seen about all of this in person except the rotor warpage. I think their paint is crap and they seem to not have any clear on the thing. Besides that (LOL) it is a great car. Easy to make power and if something does break you don't have to worry about buying expensive german parts.

Who needs a warranty. Mod it and love it.