Thread: SLS
View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #115
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Yes, sorry chaps...had a busy couple of weeks.

I finally pick the car up tomorrow after having the new sub fitted this week. However, both the garage and I are fully aware that it will make no difference, given a couple of facts:

It happens exactly the same in another car

It actually sounds awesome on some songs

However, it's a process AMG instructed them to follow so they replaced it for the sake of it. But, things have moved on anyway.....

1. I have been to that chap Mega recommended, Lee at Platinum In-Car in Coventry. He was good, very good actually. We went through what the system was doing and what I wanted it to do. He was not complimentary of the sound it produced whatsoever, even the bits that I thought sounded really good but he made no attempt to sell me anything that I didn't need. This is despite me basically telling him there was no budget limit to fix the problem, he just needed to fix it! He said that if I can't hear anything wrong with the rest of the system, he only needs to fix the problem I can hear!

So, we're going to Switzerland (my favourite European country, and my first home ) for a week next Friday. We're going in the E-class as we're taking the outlaws so he's getting my SLS to fit a new sub enclosure, subs etc etc....

2. Although the dealer only just replaced the sub this week, Merc have been aware for the last couple of weeks that it's unlikely to perform how I want it to, despite there not actually being a 'fault'. The system actually sounds awesome on some songs, even ones with considerable bass (well, I guess thats a matter of opinion...Lee didn't think it sounded good at all!). This is what I don't get and frustrates the bloody hell out of me ....on some songs, particularly dance and RnB, it sounds awful despite the bass apparently being less than on other songs which sound fantastic All using the same source and all work absolutely fine in other cars.

3. Despite me now accepting it's not a fault, and Mercedes knowing it's not faulty, they have agreed to contribute a considerable amount (i.e most of it!) towards me having the system upgraded independently. I got a quote from Lee and Mercedes have (already!) 'compensated' me! On the obvious condition that if I'm still not happy with the aftermarket solution, it's not their responsibility, which is fair enough. So, it's over to Lee and Platinum In Car and given all the bad press Merc have had on their customer service recently, I think they have dealt with this very well indeed. Is this almost Jaguar levels of service??

4. It doesn't end there!!! At the same time as this was all going on, I dug out my old contact at AMG in Affalterbach (who sorted out my leather dash on the C63) and sent him an email detailing my dissatisfaction, and also B&O's poor response. They have been swift to respond and I've clearly ruffled a few feathers....they have been in contact with Mercedes UK, the dealer and all in all, I don't think they know what to do.

So, on my way back from Switzerland, I've arranged to visit them....for a variety of reasons. Firstly, my (other halfs) family and I are having a tour of the engine facility and design studio (the second time for me, but you can never get enough of that!), then I'm having a meeting with their after sales manager to demonstrate and discuss the problem (in one of their SLS's).

I'm resigned to the fact that they're unlikely to be able to do anything, but, I want them to be accountable directly to me for why it's so shit, and explain how they think they can get away with charging that much for horse meat. After all, I paid for fillet steak! This is all assuming their example demonstrates the same problems, which it will. Hopefully I will return home to pick up my car which will then have been upgraded to sound a lot better (here's hoping!). However, it'll also be interesting to see what AMG directly will do to appease me!

On other SLS-related subjects....

I had my first 'proper' drive of it last weekend on a trip to Sheffield. And I've got to say, I've simply excelled myself this time and just can't imagine that there's any car, at any price, that beats this for all round appeal and daily usability (assuming you don't need rear seats or a big boot!).

I'm obviously very biased but that last point is an important part of this....how many cars of this ilk can be used all day everyday? Now the seat creak has been fixed and the bussing noises eliminated, the build quality and solidity are out of this world. If you've never been in an SLS, you won't believe just how stiff it is, both structurally (which I have never felt to this extreme) and in ride. It's not GT-R stiff (it at least settles down on the motorway), but it's the firmest car I've had and the relative lack of rattles and creaks really highlights how solidly built it is

It feels special all the time, it sounds rude all the time and it likes a drink....all the time (no matter how carefully you drive, and I've tried, it will not do more than 22mpg. It's averaging 17).
Appreciate 0