11-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #25
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
^^Tone it down a little...wow ^^

Changing the oil at the approximate half way mark at about 7,500 miles, is the conventional wisdom followed by most that pay attention and educate themselves about such things. The additive package has been shown to get used up at around 10,000 miles or sooner. BMW 5w-30 is good oil, just change it mid cycle. Also, it is true that you should change it at a minimum of 1x per year (if this occurs before you hit the 15,000-20,000 mile mark) and this should be included in your BMW maintenance. If the dealer is denying this, I would find another dealer.

I would also suggest learning to DIY. It is really very easy. You will save money and you will know it was done correctly and not feel ripped off.
Interesting comment. If one really researches the topic and understands how oil is used to actually lubricate the engine and what the "additive packages" do and how synthetic oil is engineered at the molecular level for long oil change intervals (the API wensite used to have excellent consumer information on this topic) they'd actually understand that is perfectly safe to run BMW's oil 15,000 miles between oil changes.

I've owned three BMW's, all bought new, and all which I’ve followed the “extended” BMW OCI on; all have gone over 150,000 miles with no oil lubrication-related issues. Changing oil at 7,500 mile intervals is actually an industry-wide standard for passenger cars.

I agree with the DIY comment if one is taught, or learns how to properly and safely perform the procedure.

Last edited by ENINTY; 11-08-2011 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0