11-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
When I took off the FSB on MK4 GTi, car felt totally different. Steering got way more feel, left the "boxy" feeling that you get when you turn the wheel. Had way more feed back through the turns. But it ate thru control arm bushings. Had to replace them every 30K or so. Auto-X'ers have told me that the car actually handles worse on the track with no FSB, but for street use, I would have never gone back.

I put a 28mm RSB on it, car handled like a dream. Front had lots of feel, while the back cooperated nicely. However, on a highway straights, back was very gittery from the thick RSB, due to restricting individual side movements of rear suspension.

My e90 currently does have good feel, due to having a balanced RWD chassis, but I can feel it could be so much better. With DTC on, back does slide out easily on wet surfaces. However, during everyday driving, I can feel the back end is a little "lazy". So that's why I am going after RSB to get the right feel. I know it's an expensive installation and want to get it right the first time...
My friend has a Mk5 GTI with a 28mm solid RSB. It handles perfect but it goes up on 3 wheels every time you turn lol!

On the subject of stagger, keep this in mind. The e90 335 and 328, 325, 330 all have the same sport suspension and alignment and tire stagger and all have different power outputs. Older BMW didn't do this. A 530 sport had a square setup and the 540 had only 20mm of stagger. Not sure why a 325 has 30mm of stagger and 215hp. F1 cars have 800hp. Can you tune the suspension to work with the effects of the stagger and lack of power? Sure. This is what Harold is getting at. It's just not my preference. You have to make the rear so stiff and add lots of camber to the front. Stock for stock a non-sport has way better balance than a sport even though it has lower limits.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0