01-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I hear this a lot and don't understand. By this logic, why pay more for insurance then you have to?

I love this dialogue from bobistheoil guy

The 3,000-mile or 3-month oil change has long been the standard in the United States, and has served Americans well. Over the last decade, however, there has been a gradual shift away from this traditional oil change interval. But maintaining a 3,000-mile or 3-month schedule is cheap insurance and many motorists would do well to retain it. Let's answer some questions about this robust maintenance regimen.

Q: How often should I change my oil?

A: Every three months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. It's cheap insurance.

Q: Do you actually know anybody who drives less than 3,000 miles in three months?

A: One guy. He drives about 200 miles a month, and takes the public transit system the rest of the time.

Q: So this guy should change his oil, even though it only has 600 miles on it?

A: You never know what could have happened to the oil while it was just sitting there. It's cheap insurance.

Q: At 200 miles a month, wouldn't it be cheaper to just rent a car?

A: We're getting off topic here.

Q: My owner's manual doesn't say anything about 3,000-mile oil changes. It says to go longer than that.
Hahaha, that's pretty funny and makes a valid point. Blindly changing oil at 3000 miles/3 months is wastefully and unnecessary.

I hate to beat a dead horse (as this topic has been debated in length on this, and other, BMW forums)... but lets just say oil should be change at an interval commiserate with driving style, frequency, and engine configuration (mods, fuel, NA/TC, etc.).

My personal reason....On the my N54 I choose to change mine every 5-6k because mine's chipped and has the oil has the added job of helping cool, clean, and lubricate two turbos, in addition to the traditional roles that it plays within the engine... plus the N54 already operates with higher oil temps which could contribute to the oil's molecular composition breaking down prematurely.
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0