10-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Every mechanic I know use a torque wrench to tighten a lug nut/bolt.

I also don't know a single mechanic or professional that would hesitate using an impact wrench on a lug nut or bolt to loosen. What puts MORE stress on a bolt or nut is the actual tightening process, whereby the threads are stretched to provide the actual clamping force. Loosening it via impact is actually far less stressful to the nut/bolt than actually tightening it with a torque wrench.

I don't care if you agree or disagree. I'm just merely point out that opinions not grounded on facts, are just wife's tales.
It could well be wife's tales, and I also don't want to argue. From my perspective, rightly or wrongly, an impact wrench does just that, it loosens or tightens by impacting the head of the bolt with twisting force. Twisting itself might not be damageable if done with constant smooth force, but hitting repetitively the head with force is what I have a problem with, not if it was done only 1-2 times a year. But if you track many times a year......

I know of NO mechanic, professional or otherwise, in our region who uses a torque wrench thereafter to torque to spec. They basically tighten with the impact wrench, no torque check. For that I envy you folks!

Last edited by kenneth; 10-15-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0