View Single Post
      07-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #65
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Not that easy, all ///Ms are equipped with better components in almost every aspect. In straightline performance, with it being FI, I'm sure with a couple thousand in engine mods, you could easily make it outperform the new M3. But then you'd need a stronger tranny, along with some other strengthened parts to handle the torque. With that and the other stuff you mentioned, you'd easily reach the M3 price range. So, why not just get a M3 in the first place with a warranty, better styling, and just a overall better platform to begin with?
I understand where you are coming from.

But the tranny issue is still unknown right? I think the new tranny might be considerable more beefy. If that turns out to be true, I think you will be able to get 80-90% to an M3 for only 50% of the price differential. I think that by the time the M3 hits the streets late next year, we are going to see 335s already "matching" them.

Bottom line is you don't want to spend all the cash on an M3 and then get smoked by a "lowly 3 series". It just doesn't sit well. Sure this could happen with any of the past generations. But I think this time, it might be a more common occurence. As a general rule, FI from the factory = cheap modability.

Quote:
Let's say you do all of that stuff anyway, then some guy gets a blower on his V8. Game over
Yeah, but you're going to have to crack the motor almost for sure. The high compression won't allow FI, at least not easily. Just like on the E46, its going to take forever for someone to come out with a kit. Its just going to be too expensive. I don't think you'll see many Ms around with forced induction.
Appreciate 0