View Single Post
      04-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Diadal
Rep
Drives: Golfing...

'i' vs. 'xi'

Hey friends!

I would like to hear your experienced voice on this:

I am investing into a new BMW 3-series this year. I'd go for a 325 or 330 automatic sedan/limousine, with petrol/benzin engine, but i managed to get stuck here:

rear-wheel drive vs. xDrive

I'ver spent hours on the net trying to get it right, but I see everywhere contradicting opinions.

Like these videos are quite impressing on RWD:

But again these are not:

- even with the happy ending

You see, I live in Europe, in a low-hilly place. In my country we get 5-10 days of medium snowing every year, and about 30-40 days of plowed snowy roads. Otherwise it is rainy, murky roads, nothing special.

My friends (including a car-dealer) tell me to go for the xDrive, cause in the RWD I cannot get control on slippery roads. I will need to load heavy weights in the trunk to get some grip on the rear wheels... My neighbour just bought a 325xi, but he is a family guy.

So I am not that convinced, because with xDrive I get understeer, higher consumption, less power, higher, insportier riding, and something else I cannot even imagine. It seems too much of a trade-off.

So my heart tells me that 330i with winter tyres, DSC, etc., will suffice to get from A to B in snow.

What do You think?

Last edited by Diadal; 04-05-2010 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0