View Single Post
      01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
EAS
Rep
Drives: VF620 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Haha, I don't think Cool Carbons are trash. I've done 21 track days on them and haven't had any problems. If I start getting some vibration and it doesn't go away by the end of my run, I just bed in again, and that always fixes it.

About ABS, you don't need to threshold brake to do the bedding in. You should start with moderate braking and work up to hard braking but not threshold. If you slip up and activate the ABS, just let them cool for ten minutes and start over again.

That said, true race pads like Hawk DTC series are much better if you're willing to swap them in and out for every event. But Hawk HPS or HP+ are not better.
+1 – We have had very good experience with CC Pads both on the street and on the track; some have noted vibration issues which BTW we have not experienced and generally which can be resolved thru proper bedding/re-bedding.

CC does not stipulate turning off the ABS but rather that it is best to avoid activation during the bedding process to avoid localized deposits during the critical portions of the material transfer process. There are some that may prefer the initial bite (grabbyiness) of the OE pads that provide about 20% of full braking capability initially with little/no ability to modulate from 0-20%; We prefer the CC pads which allow a much greater and more linear ability to modulate from 0-20% and 0-100% all the way to ABS. Overall stopping capability has been found by many to be a good increase over OE and with a friction coefficient that increases with temperature.

Several have repeatedly criticized CC pads on the forums and we would suggest that any issues real or perceived from those that have actually used the CC pads be resolved through contacting CC or EAS directly to try and resolve any legitimate concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
My cool carbon pads suck also.
Following the OP original complaint about one year back, CC contacted OP and worked to resolve their issue. The complaint was related to some type of rust color residue build up on the rotor after washing the car and allowing car to set for several days. Several high speed stops were required to remove this residue as we recall. Car was driven on good weather days only and put up in between plus stored during winter months.

This residue was only on the front rotors and only on the outboard side of the rotors as it was indicated that the inboard side of the rotors never got wet during washing. Photos were provided, which did show some surface irregularities, but also that appeared to show only partial pad contact only on the upper/outer rotor surface. Cool Carbon tried to replicate this complaint by repeating the described events on several different vehicles (335i and E46 M3) and also on uninstalled pad/rotor combinations but with no success.

It was suggested to OP to explore the lack of full pad/rotor contact as the calipers had apparently been removed for painting and reinstalled and the car also had been put up or stored for both short and longer term periods. We never eliminated the possibility of the CC pads as a possible cause, but as the OP was not willing to investigate or consider the possibility of contamination on the caliper mounting surfaces during reassembly after painting or that the guide pins could be binding, further investigation by CC was finally placed on hold.

EAS and Cool Carbon are willing to revisit this complaint and invites OP to contact directly but after first checking possible causes of poor pad contact as previously requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ View Post
Cool Carbons ruined my first set of c/d rotors! I replaced with new c/d rotors and factory brake pads, way much better!
We have found Cool Carbon pads to be quite rotor friendly and we are not aware of any ruined rotors from using CC pads. CC pads polish rotors generally to a nice finish and we have seen rotors easily lasting over 30-40,000 mile with still over minimum thickness remaining.

CC does not recommend cross drilled rotors as they can have a tendency to crack around the drilled holes, holes can fill with friction material and they can warp with heat. We have seen OE C/D rotors warp with less than 10k miles and street driven only and with various pad brands including OE.. Many shops however confuse rotor deposits with warped rotors in order to sell new rotors, when re-bedding or a light cut on a lathe can rectify. Generally OE pads will fade before they will see sufficient heat to cause warpage. The subject of re-bedding to resolve vibration issues has been discussed on many previous occasions and applies to other pad brands as well.

We are presently investigating the original RB rotor issue for possible solution. As RB advises against other brands of pads than their own, it is possible that the NVH characteristics of this rotor is such that not all pads may work effectively including some of the track pads they mention. We checked with Mr 5 who indicated that he did have slight vibration during bedding with CC pads on the RB rotor and that this stopped once sufficient heat was added. He originally tried the RB pads but he decided to go the CC route after experiencing the noise characteristics of the RB pads. His experience may differ from that of others however. Neither EAS or CC had any input as to which pads Mr. 5 choose to use and were advised after the fact as to which pads he tested the RB rotors with. Cool Carbon pads are offered as a street performance pads and have never been represented as a dedicated track pad. Many have used them as a light duty track pad, including ourselves and have been most happy with their performance, but again they are not a pure track pad.

EAS and Cool Carbon suggest that an alternative be considered if one is looking for the performance of a full track pad and you are willing to change out pads before each event plus are willing to put up with track pad characteristics for street usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS
Yeah people say BMW has a new pad compound that's better. That's easy to believe, because I don't know how the old compound could possibly get any worse.

Anyway, I'm completely happy with Cool Carbons. They are better than BMW pads in every way - less noise, much less dust, better cold bite, much better warm bite, much easier to modulate, much better resistance to fade. Pixelblue called them 5/5 for street and 3/5 for track. I think that's exactly right.
We have many happy customers and find them to far outnumber those with any issues. Many are repeat customers with various chassis and models and that have previously used many of the other brands of pads that are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ
Cool Carbon reviews:

Quote:
I’m trying to think about how the heck a brake pad can be so good with the first stop of the day and also be so good at the 12th consistent stop from 70-20!
How do they do this?
The secret is a 3 part formula where every part has their own overlapping temperature range. This means that the pads work very well when cold, and continue to work really well at much higher temps without any fading.
Not only is the temperature range so wide, the pads have been known to clock over 40k miles on a single set.

The bottom line is that these Cool Carbon pads really are the ideal replacement pad.
- They are a low dust pad.
- The pad is stable in cold temperatures and temperatures over 1100 deg F!
- It’s a quiet pad.
What more do you want?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258143

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373556

ohh, and a friend says FOL all the time = fact of life
We understand that there is not one choice for any performance product that can make everyone happy. Some may prefer the OE type bite without the modulation capabilities. Others may prefer a true track pads with more aggressive rotor wear characteristics.

We would however be most happy to answer any questions and/or to address any issues and request the opportunity to do so.

Last edited by EAS; 01-17-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0