View Single Post
      07-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
ClassOf2013
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ZSP 325i

Just kind of need to vent, so please don't flame me!

I'm a Senior in high school, and was going back to the tire shop that forgot to replace my center cap the other day. On the way there (and of course in the middle of no where) I REALLY had to go to the bathroom. The whole road to the tire shop was a 2 laned ,55MPH straight road. Everyone was driving 5-10 above, but me in my quest for a bathroom I was for sure going faster. As I went to pass someone, I saw a sheriff in the divider and I knew it was over...

He clocked me at 75 but saw me braking just before ... I never drive irresponsibly (excessive speeding, recklessly, on the phone, anything!). My ticket is for 70 in a 55 and is a $30 fine, $188 in court costs. He told me if he would've got me for the full 75 MPH it would've been a misdemeanor reckless driving and I would've got my license suspended for a month and would've been arrested until my parents got the car and me.

I know I was extremely lucky and plan on paying the ticket myself but since I pay for my own insurance as well so I wanted to know if you guys know of any way to offset the rate increase (classes, courses ect.)? Will the company still re-evaluate when I'm 25 to lower the rates? The ticket cost isn't what I'm concerned about... I know my insurance will be much higher than it already is. I know you always take the risk of being caught when speeding, but definitely a lesson learned.

Hope my post isn't too long, and thanks for listening.

Edit: Thanks for your help guys! I got it down to "Improper Equipment" and have to go to a 4 hour defensive driving course. Costs about $300 but will not be on my record!
Appreciate 0