View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #208
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I couldn't take pics of the work being done, but here's the gist of what the muffler guy told me.

I'm assuming he didn't have a plasma torch and so cutting/welding new pipes in was a no-go due to spacial constraints. So I opted to have the packing removed mostly. I had him take out about 75% of the packing and leave the rest as-is.

The big news to me was that there was no packing in the driver-side muffler at all. Was this previously known? Because I did not expect it

Brief review until I can get video:
It's quieter than I expected, in retrospect I would have removed all of it. But it does sound good. From in the cabin its not much louder than what it was before (catless dps, stock exhaust), but on the road with the windows down it sounds awesome. I'd venture to say it sounds a lot like the PE exhaust I see in the videos, just from a different perspective as I'm sitting in the car.

Definitely worth the mod as it sounds a lot more throaty and more exotic sounding but not too overbearing.

If I were to do it again, I'd remove all the packing.

I'll post vids soon, probably after tomorrow as I've got to do a plug swap (Cobb install is giving me misfires on cyl 2).