View Single Post
      11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #127
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Also in Germany it's illegal to drive without winter tires in snowy conditions (specifically you must have appropriate tires for whatever condition you're driving in). If you get in an accident without them most insurance companies won't pay out too. I really wish we could have a requirement like this in some US states. You can buy winter tires to improve your own performance snow/ice, but that will do nothing to stop the person on bald all-seasons behind you from plowing into you when they can't stop in time. For the most part, people here really are clueless when it comes to tires. Many think as long as they aren't visibly falling apart that they're good to go.

Living in Chicago I have tons of experience driving in snow and ice with a few different setups, specifically FWD w/all seasons, AWD w/all seasons, and RWD w/winter tires, and RWD + winter tires is absolutely no question the superior choice.
Big x2.

I got mocked when I told some friends that I had to get new tires and that I was getting winter tires.

Said I was being stupid spending even extra money on having dedicated winter or summer setups. He has a subaru w/ all wheel drive so he's a bit cocky about it.

I thought it was cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW
"Great, you can stick with all-seasons. However, I will be on winters, I may drive like an asshole, and you may follow me and ride my bumper. I WILL stop a lot quicker, and you WILL plow into my rear bumper and pay for mtech upgrades for my daily driver."
you're giving me ideas...
Appreciate 0