View Single Post
      07-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #23
insomnia8888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 95M3, 07 e92 335, 11 X5 MSprt

I got pretty upset with this product!
There were some mistakes I have done but this is a DIY product, takes practice to perfect it.

I did my homework and watch all videos online and read so much about it.
I took the bumper and areo lip off the car and sprayed it as they show on the video. I had to stop several times due to foaming around the spray nozzle and spitting. Hood and fenders were cold but obviously not cold enough so the spray got baked on it: Dried too quick without self leveling.

Result was pretty ugly. Lots but lots of orange peel. I noticed that I didn't spray enough. Even though I put 3 coats as instructed but I must have went little too fast.

Oh well, I was okay since I can peel and re do it, right?

About a week later (curing supposed to take 2 to 4 days), I went through an automatic car wash: Absolute disaster! Water spots all over, corners of bumpers were scraped and lots of scratches. I thought after curing, car wash was okay??

Well, after the car wash problem, I decided not to try it again, but I had to peel it of. I went to Autozone, returned everything for full refund.

Peeling was next step and I decided to start with the hood and the fenders since they should be easy flat surfaces. I couldn't get any thing peel of the hood. It was stuck on there. Baked silicon on the hood! I called 3m customer support, and they recommended me to use glass cleaner that has ammonia with micro fiber cloth or a non-abrasive sponge. Took me 2 days to rub of the silicon, and a big cloudy mess left on the hood. I still had bumper and the lip to peel, and after few tries on those I completely gave up. Pieces were coming up very little. It was going to take forever.

My mistakes here were not spraying enough, and not waiting for engine to cool off completely.

I ended up giving the car to my body shop. Cost me $350, but I got my car back looking beautiful. Next week getting the XPEL clear bra on it.

I sure don't recommend this product to anyone. But if you still want to give it a try, learn from my mistakes. Over spraying is better than not spraying enough, and make sure your engine is cold completely. So at least, it can be peeled off easy.

And before you commit to this, know that perfecting it takes most people 2 or 3 trials and you probably are going to renew it every year.

Good luck
Appreciate 0