View Single Post
      04-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #243
kanuckstuff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sprt Pkg 6MT Blk/Cor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
In all seriousness, for someone who has expensive mods such as AA headers and a 3IM, why do this!?!? Ladies, the panel filter is more than adequate. A cone filter does nothing more! Has anyone in this thread even actually measured the surface area of the cone vs. the stock panel style?

Anyone who does this cone filter mod and claims to have an increase in power is either lying or needs to have their butt re-calibrated. I'm not an aerodynamics scientist, but I would honestly put money down on a car with the panel filter making more power than the cone because I feel that a cone in this airbox is creating some wild turbulence not present with the panel filter.

Finally, SPECTRE filter. Need I say more?? Apparently. Haven't seen them used in any flow tests myself but I doubt they perform spectacularly. Stick with something proven such as MAHLE, K&N, aFe, etc. If your 'performance parts' come from the rice section of Autozone, I doubt they're going to do much good.

I hate to be blunt, but with more and more younger people being able to afford these BMWs (not saying that's anyone here in particular), I bet more and more people will be wanting to do this mod. This post is my PSA: DON'T DO IT! Buy a silicone intake elbow, a new panel filter if you must (though it won't make any difference in power), cut out the charcoal filter, and if you really want to get your hands dirty, do the PROVEN "CAI" mod based off the Dinan system.

kanuckstuff: I'm sorry if this feels aimed at you in particular, because it really isn't. I'm being harsh so that hopefully others won't go down your path and basically ruin their stock airbox for nothing.
After doing this mod I definitely agree with you. The cone filter hurt performance and I hated the droning. Like I said I put it back to stock (except the silicone intake boot) and it's much better.

As for why do this if I have expensive mods... why not? If the sound and performance was better as SO MANY people claimed in this thread, why wouldn't I add some engine noise and power before my tune? It was inexpensive and I like tinkering on my car. I don't limit myself to only expensive mods. That being said, everybody was wrong and this mod is bad, hindsight 20/20 wouldn't do it again.

The reason I went with spectre... is because that's what people in this thread used. They said it worked and that it fit, and neither was true.

Also, it does feel aimed at me, but that's ok I wanted someone to respond and affirm my feelings or tell me if I did something wrong. And I wouldn't say my airbox is ruined, it's got a kydex patch on the front and some electrical tape on the holes in the back but it functions like stock
Appreciate 0