04-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #189
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Smile Success!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I looked again. There is a single 'blue' cable and numerous maroon or purple cables. There is also a white cable. So if I need 4 cables hooked to the TCU on the 'facing towards back of car' side, I definitely don't have a complete match. Help! If I had to guess at this point -- I'd try using the single blue cable.

For the benefit of others -- on the MOST junction box, I had 3 'unused' pairs of fiber-optic cables. Using the 'flashlight' trick told me that the pair going to the TCU connector (facing towards the front of the car) was pair '3'. Luckily this was the first pair that I tried.
So I finally got the car into the dealer for programming and everything went smoothly -- so I can confirm that the information given by Jim K. is correct -- connect all 4 cables and match colors. Note that one problem that I had after installing everything -- but before re-coding -- is that I got a sunroof fault, and the sunroof would not open completely nor stop at the right point when closing. I fixed this by pushing and holding the sunroof 'raise' button for about a minute while the roof cycled. This cleared the code and restored proper operation.

My cost for the retrofit was:

$320 for FZD (including Microphone) and TCU. These were purchased used from Jim K. based on an offer in the 'for sale' section of e90post.
$43.98 for TCU bracket and Bluetooth Antenna (new) from Tischer (including shipping)
$250 for 2 hours of labor for recoding at Herb Chambers, Boston

for a total of: $614. Not too bad.
Appreciate 0