04-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #115
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I have used many additives in the past, and will probably in the future, but I'm not sold that they are necessary. I loved how Stanadyne made my Tdi run, and I measured a power gain when running a few others, but I also realize that diesel fuel can vary in btu's of thermal energy/gallon by 5% or more. And then there's cetane, which some engines benefit more from than others. Too many darn variables.

Base fuel quality (viscosity, energy density, lubricity, cetane, winter fuel versus summer fuel)
Fuel blenders's additive package (lubricity, oxidative stability)
Your additive (energy density, lubricity, cetane modification, your dosing rate, your mixing strategy)
Your observations and interpretations (feel, sounds other senses)

I will continue to experiment with them in small doses when the fancy strikes me, but I realize any effect, positive or negative, is just improbable to reliably, validly observe, especially fuel economy. IMO, it would take a highly controlled dyno test to suss out. Club gtg in Phoenix anyone?

tbh, monitoring your fuel pump and fuel filter & injectors & using the cleanest diesel fuel available in your area should be priority for our diesels. i think making additives as a priority could easily back fire if you don't pay attention to the other things that i've just mentioned.
you could have the best additives available in the world with 100 cetane ratings or what not, but if your fuel pump or injectors are already congested or failing, you then have to worry about more than just $10 bucks additive.
Appreciate 0