09-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Take him to the cleaners!

J/k. Actually, call him up and find out what happened.

Tell him you will get a quote and let him know the damage.

You should ask him if he wants you to file a claim with his insurance.

If he says yes, then no problem.

If he says no then you have to make a big decision.

If the damage is not small and there is even the slightest possibility of hidden damage then file a claim.

The OP also needs to take into consideration that the other driver left a note. That is worth a lot.

The OP should call the other driver, thank him for leaving a note and tell him that he'll get an estimate of the damage and get back him.

Get the estimate quickly, but make sure that the shop checks closely for hidden damage - there probably isn't any.

Call the other party back with the estimate. Offer to fax or email it to them and ask them how they would like to proceed.

I had someone back into my car a few years back - a few scratches on the bumper and a broken taillight. I got an estimate for about $600 from a bodyshop, but then bought a light from the dealer ($130,) put it in myself and spent a few hours fixing the slight scratches.

I met the other driver in Starbucks, showed him the estimate and the original pictures of the damage, then the invoice from the dealer for the taillight. I told him how much I appreciated him leaving a note and that I was quite happy to settle for $130 and the frappachino.

I then asked to see his damage. He had gotten a similar quote (but no broken bits) but was waiting to see if we were going to go through insurance. His bumper had minor scrapes as well but the bodyshop wanted to do a full respray.

I pointed him in the direction of a detailer I had used in the past and he got a full exterior detail and perfect scratch removal for $300. He called me afterwards and told me how happy he was that he left a note. He said the note saved him a few hundred dollars at the body shop.

Treat the guy fairly. Most would have just driven off leaving you holding the bag.
Appreciate 0