View Single Post
      06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #40
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
The nav in my 328i did exactly this to me once. My wife looked at me like I was a dummy...."I'm just following the nav!"
I can bring people to dozens of places where this happens with Google Maps, Bing Maps, TomTom, Garmin...

The technology isnt and can never be perfect. It's not an AI. Its a complex algorithm that puzzles through an incredible amount of data quickly by applying some sleight of hand to appear smarter than it is.

The reason the online services "seem" better is because they crowd source. So when problems like these get uncovered, people email it in and then there is (eventually) a *manual* correction to how the logic is working in that area.

BMW (and any other auto manufacturer) are buying this technology from providers.

At some point most cars will be perma-connected either through your own device or through the cost of the car somehow (or maybe a sub fee). If that were the case then these services could be either "Google Powered", "Bing Powered", or whatever, or other providers could provide the same type of service (where community updates are possible and happen dynamically)
Appreciate 0