02-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #146
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
No, the question was 1st year out of school, and I don't think it is massive at all. Software "engineers" right out of school are not making $150K+, exceptions aside.
Fair enough. Oh, I got the "1st year" bit; I am talking about 1st year out of top tier grad school.

So, I am really talking exceptions and not the rule. ie. on software side gifted engineers who got into GOOG for e.g.

Finance has a relatively large sub-set that do: if you come from a top grad program (Chicago, Wharton et al) and have quant and/or other specialized skills and get into the world of hedge funds, pvt equity, LBOs. This last point is important to the argument: this is a smaller grp of a relatively small grad cohort.

I was at a dinner recently in NY and the table was full of young hedge fund mgrs/traders/analysts from Stamford CT and they were making far more than 150k (2x+, yes, they are crass enough to talk annual bonuses as it's bonus time) and right out of the gate in 2 cases. One ~ 30 y.o. guy had an e60 M5 as daily driver and a 430 on order .. (bastard )

To take the other side: my wife has 2 Masters' and a PhD in History from a very good Canadian uni + 14 years' academic experience and she's only making in the 50s - who says life is just?

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-09-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0