John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemah
This is a great argument.

if i had cash down to buy a car - i would have done it

if i had to finance - the payments are just too high monthly because the interest rates unrock

if i had to lease - ideal for me

the probability of totalling or getting stolen is very low

insurance agencies cover most of your car in that case

and it really comes down to financial budgeting or forcasts of ones finances

so in the end....figure out how best you can pay for the car, and let you sales assiciate write up a deal for you......

what say you folks?
I still don't agree. In 1998, a BMW was too expensive for me, so I woulda have felt the same way--payments too high to buy a BMW. So I didn't, I bought a Nissan. Leasing was not the answer, because it is an agreement that is stacked in the lessor's favor. All the responsibilities of ownership (taxes, maintenance, insurance, etc.) with none of the benefits.

What do you mean interest rates unrock? The dealership gave me 5.5% for 60 mos. That's 2.75% below prime. Even my HELOC is only 1% below prime which at 7.25% is very unattractive to me even after-taxes (I figure that is a net of 6%, 5 7/8 at the very best but not really).

In my hard of hearts I feel the "I can invest the money I don't pay every month that I would if I bought" is a cop-out. The money spent on a BMW is supposed to be discretionary, that is spent for the luxury of buying a BMW. It's not investment money to begin with. my .02
Appreciate 0