Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Bump!

Could be another possibility of a cause and FIX for this squeal...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365
My car does this too and it drives me nuts. It's always when I have recently released the parking brake (like stop at a store and then come out shortly after). I have also felt extra drag like the brake is still engaged when it happens.

As much as I'd like for it to be something like above, I'm doubtful. Both the dust shield and the parking brake shoes are stationary parts. How does rolling cause the squeak?

Based on the drag I've felt, I feel like it's either something in the parking brake that needs lube (but then why do brand new cars do this?) or maybe it's something goofy with the DSC hill assist or something.

It is indeed frustrating and embarrassing depending on the situation, that's for sure.

When I was leaving my parents place after a visit recently I was backed into the driveway which slopes downhill. On getting ready to leave the car wouldn't roll. When I feathered the clutch it made the darn squeak and would come to a stop - something is clearly dragging on the wheel/hub/rotor. I got it moving again and there was the squeal. I yanked on the p-brake which brought the car to a lurching halt. When I released it we rolled silently and effortlessly away on gravity alone with no squeal. Whatever was dragging wasn't after yanking the p-brake.

I think that is kind of interesting. I had the rear brakes replaced by my preferred indy shop (as opposed to DIY) as it was required of the PO to pass safety so everything has been serviced although not by me. I may be tearing in there and re-doing the job with some extra attention paid to the p-brake.
Appreciate 0