Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpierrb View Post
Hi everyone,

Also obvious that there's no data on this car yet WRT my question. No other recent BMW turbos to compare to either. The most reasonable comparo might be a 6-8 year old blown merc with similar setup or a blown 300Z (my thought is a good quality car, with a turbo that has been boosted beyond factory setup). Anyone heard anything from a mechanic, owner or themselves on how this impacts longevity?

Separately, in soliciting quotes from insurance co's they all have said that they will not insure modified vehicles. Know of any co's that do? What is a reasonable increase in premiums, on a percentage basis.

This type of mod might go unnoticed in the case of a claim as it's software, so the insurance co wouldn't know unless they hooked up the car to a computer. Anyone know if they do this as part of their investigation in the case of a claim?

Thanks!

B.
A couple of good questions...

first the 300z has a high compression in stock form so any boost isnt health in the long term. I've looked into this for my G for quite awhile bottom line wont last. now a car that has turbo already has a safe area of boost not touched for various reasons, the bmw "should" handle the xtra boost without problems (as long as the boost is resonable).

Now the insurance question is one I had also... if i add the Dinan tune to my car what happens... will the insurance reimburse me for the 2k for a total loss , i know dinan will. I guess its a moot point.

The only comments i've heard about insurance companies offering insurance on modified vehicles are ones that deal with mods/ such as show cars or rare cars.

*shrug*

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0