View Single Post
      04-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #55
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

You know...I haven't looked into the flip-up monitor thing. There was an interesting system out of Germany, but I hear it was expensive and the software is poor. Then again, I hear everyone gripe about the idrive software/Nav capabilities. However, I'm really just trying to do a OEM-look retrofit that looks and functions like the car came with the option. Transparent to the unknowing service advisor and technician unless he climbs into the dashboard and sees an additional harness.

The WDS says that the flip-screen motor is toggled by the K-Can bus... on connector x13822 (a 6-pin jobbie that looks like the e90)
Pin 1 is for power
Pin 3 is for ground
Pin 5 is K-Can High
Pin 6 is K-Can low
Looks like there is another connector just like the E90's for a LVDS cable.

I've been busy working but am going to start a few on-car tests tomorrow with the system. I'm working on the "temporary" harness so I can plug it all in. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some preliminary results!!

This website has some good tech info PDF's...I downloaded all of them and they are great for easy reading reference!

http://socale90.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51

Of special interest regarding this forum were the two PDF's regarding "E90 Entertainment and Communication" (mentioned earlier in this thread), as well as "E90 Voltage Supply & Bus Systems."

The K-Can bus is broken down a bit and I have a lot more understanding of the JBE and how it relates to power distribution. I'm just hoping that without a software update that the JBE will supply my SatNav needs (ie. power/grounds/bus connections all work off the bat.) Looks like "tapping into" the K-Can bus at the radio shouldn't be a problem, but I still aim to hook up all of the components in their ideal (OEM) locations, even if its a bit more work. I like the idea of making it as close to transparent to the dealer/anyone else for warranty and future potential diagnostic reasons. I'm starting to take pictures as I go, so when/if there is a working DIY, it'll be documented for everyone to see.

Question: Not having written a DIY before, whats the best format to write it in? Word- than export to PDF? I hate the way word handles pictures - anyone have any ideas on this off-topic subject?
Appreciate 0