View Single Post
      04-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
kdu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

I'm a newb so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in a forced induction engine CAIs do not play as big of a role compared to NA. The air is driven through the turbines where it heats up and then has to cool down again when it passes through the IC. Of course there will be a benefit of sending cooler air trough the system from the intake, but the big gains come from cooler air entering the engine and that is why a FMIC plays a more dominant role. So you are better off getting a cheaper intake system like DCI, even if it's warm air that is being sucked in and then upgrading the FMIC which will ultimately deliver the biggest gains or in this case the biggest drop in air temperature entering the engine.

I'm also skeptical when I see huge gains associated with any intake, CAI or WAI and especially at stock HP outputs. If you see huge gains it means that the stock intake system was designed very poorly and I doubt that is the case with this BMW engine. I think an intake system is more important as your HP output goes up especially in a FI application. Your engine needs more air so if the stock system is replaced with a less restrictive intake you will see gains. Which brings me to this question. When the Dinan dyno was done was it done on an otherwise stock car or a heavily modified one? That is probably the only way I can see such performance gains from a CAI.
Appreciate 0