04-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #34
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
^good point.

Actually 98 octane is about 5c/litre more expensive than 95 octane not 10c therefore with that distance travelled and consumption (probably closer to 12 or 13L/100km for most of us 335 drivers ), the savings are closer to $150 per year.

But if consumption is better or power delivery better (anyone tried this on a dyno in australia?) with 98 then the economics becomes very thin indeed.

good pick up JameB, and the reason why I tend to stick to 98 (If I can afford to get a 335 then what's $150 eh?)

I do have to say though, that where I buy petrol (North side of Sydney), 98 is almost always 10c a litre more than 95... 5c would be great!

Yes, I have to agree that if someone can afford a 100k+ car (or $50K+ car for that matter!) then $150-$250 a year shouldn't be much of a problem for them, so I'm a little surprised to hear owners using 95 octane.

I'm a little biased on petrol prices though, as being from the UK, prices in Aus still seem filthy cheap to me. At the moment, petrol is around $2.30 a litre in the UK, so even if petrol was to go to $1.75 a litre I wouldn't be overly fussed (add that to the fact I cover far less miles/Kms per year, living in Sydney).
Appreciate 0