01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #151
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaughan View Post
Okay... I have read (more than) enough and now I can't help but question my own sanity...

I bought a brand spanking new 2011 335xi about 14 months ago. I am absolutely in love with the thing. I have put about 16K miles on it with not so much as a hint of trouble. I don't drive it too hard but no doubt I did buy it knowing it would be fun to drive. I have indeed had a little fun. The bottom line is that I am 51 years old not 21 years old... and I drive like a "grown up".

I just put almost 3,000 miles on it, over a nearly 2 week period, in a single road trip vacation. It was the best time I have ever spent in a car... while driving that is . I "shadowed" an Audi A6 for almost an hour and never got below 110 mph on I-80 west of Salt Lake City. I swear the 335 felt like it was cruising at half that speed. It ran cool and effortless for our entire trip. Despite more than a few miles of 100 mph driving we averaged over 26 MPG for the 12 days.

I live about 250 miles from the nearest BMW dealer and 350 miles from where I bought the car. I plan on taking it in for ALL routine maintenance whenever it needs it. I am not the richest guy in the world but I can afford to maintain the car I own... I think. I am not a mechanic and don't have any plan on being one. Am I nuts to think that this car won't bite me in the ass? I see some horrible stories here. Clearly people love to bitch and maybe that's is all I am reading in this thread but there are bound to be happy stories out there that aren't being told.

What are the percentages of "horror vs. happy"?

Much of what I see here seems to be N54 related... Does an N55 make my chances of being happy go up?

For the record my other car is a 1978 Fiat 124 Spyder. If you want a finicky sports car look no further. I have one delightfully sporty little headache and I am hoping that the BMW is not going to be a 2nd one. Truth be told I love both cars for very different reasons.

I suppose I can always ask a dealer this question... but... can you add on an extended warranty after the fact?

Thanks,

Darren
Same thing happened when I first got my 335....I started following this forum and getting paranoid. Its like a car wreck..you don't want to look but you do. Unfortunately I had lots of problems but i'm sure the vast majority doesnt/won't. Steady 110......beautiful.
Appreciate 0