View Single Post
      04-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
deltron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Monaco Blue

Track & Auto-Cross Wear/Tear

Hi All,

So I had my first auto-cross event this past weekend and it was awesome. Being to test the potential of the car was amazing. The driving theory was very interesting, and having hands on experience controlling your car at high speed was not only great fun, but probably better drivers ed that anything the DMV will give you.

My 325xi is my daily driver. I purchased it and plan on keeping it for several years (5-6+). Eventually, I'd like to get another new car, but something like Z-car in the future. So with that in mind, will auto-crossing it 5-6 times a year plus a couple of days at the track (think Lime Rock in CT, VIR in VA) prevent me from reasonably doing this?

I'm really curious about this. Damaging your car from an accident is one thing, but damaging it from the stress you put it through is another, and I'm not sure if these cars are really built for owners to track and auto-cross yearly. I know for day-to-day driving, and occasion (hard) evasive driving, our cars are as solidly built and rigid as they come.

Thanks,
John