View Single Post
      07-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
So just upgrading the speakers on a base audio system is really going to make a noticeable difference?

This is my girlfriends car and she's not really a bass/subwoofer junkie, although that may be in the future.

Right now she's looking for more clarity, although she doesn't think the audio system is actually that loud.

I thought this was an interesting thread, and some nice info on speaker etc etc.
The problem with that MY2011 base audio is that everything on it is real crapola, the speakers, the missing tweeters, the power and the signal going to those speakers.

So any upgrade will end up being more than just a change of speakers.

You could get the Alpine OEM retrofit kit or create your own. The Alpine kit has a 4 channel amp, a front component set of Logic7 speakers and an OEM harness to connect all these parts to your OEM HU/iDrive; the idea being to bi-amp the front doors and the underseat woofers with that amp. Most of the forum members (mostly in bimmerfest.com) getting that kit are happy with it.

You can create your own "kit" as well, and for that I would recommend a MS-8 processor amplifier and a pair of Rainbow components for the front doors. You could replace the underseat woofers as well, but you can try the OEM woofers for a while. That will be a very simple and effective upgrade.
Appreciate 0