03-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #19
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Just to update this thread, it ended up being a clogged drain on my rear turbo.. New turbos fixed the issue, the codes, smoking, etc.. Car's been running fine ever since..
Thinking about this, I am curious just how much oil is supposed to travel thru those pipes. Is it a steady stream of liquid, or is it more like vapors or small trickles? Is it under high pressure, low pressure, merely a bleed-off, etc?

I wonder just how much of a difference putting some Berryman, or Seafoam, or similar crankcase treatments will help break down this sludge build up in the nooks and crannies N54s have. PCV system on these is a perfect example. How effective might it be, or not be, if left cleaners were left to circulate awhile?

I've put Seafoam in the crankcase on some older cars that I'd just purchased and changed the oil in, and I was amazed at how thick and goopy that new oil was after just a few dozen miles of driving. Apparently it broke down that sludge well enough to liquefy it, mix it, and allow me to drain it. Subsequent oil changes with more Seafoam appeared much cleaner, and since the cars ran smoother I figure it had to be doing something good.