View Single Post
      12-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post
I have one concern, see if anyone agrees.

First I must say this is one of the more interesting and clever intake mods.

The conern is, the inert used to attach the flange, reduces the diameter of the air intake tube where the MAF sits.

My understanding of the MAF is, it measures the air mass by how fast the air flow cools the heated wire. Such cooling is proportional to the mass of air passing directly against the wire, removing heat from it.

When the tube diameter is reduced, for the same amount of air that is passing through, the velocity of the air increases, therefore more heat is removed from the wire, the MAF then reads the air mass more than when the tube is not inserted.

If the ECU reads more air, it will deliver more fuel to maintain the designed A/F ratio. Potentially this mod will enrich the fuel content, or reduce the A/F ratio.

Of course this may not be a bad thing, because we know those tunes also increase the fuel delivery and reduce the A/F ratio, in order to generate more power.

What do you guys think?
But reduceing the inlet tube by the thinkness of a penny shouldnt really be that much of a issue. Plus i removed a section of plastic from the flange to let the maf sit in the factory location.

All other aftermarket system incress the amount of air but having it as a open element. But they also let it pull it less cold air. Due to being opend to the motor heat.

To my understanding cold air is more dense and makes for better combustion and makes for better A/F mixture.

But like i said ill be doing a dyno next month with stock air box and stock paper filter. stock air box with k&n drop in. Stock air box with (EURO MOD). Injen Intake. And i hope to have a real EURO BOX by then to compare all boxes and mods done with.
Appreciate 0