View Single Post
      10-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
CTR_Paul
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Plus

Thanks for your reply bmwak. I checked today and I can't really hear any scraping noise when the car is stationary. I've tried listening by the front offside wheel and nothing too unusual there either. The only noises I can hear are more like ticking and belt noise rather than scraping or grinding so I hope its not that. It doesn't sound like the videos of the timing chain issues that I've watched on YouTube.

The noise sounds like its coming more from the centre of the car really, like its under the centre console perhaps. I also noticed today the exhaust seems to vibrate a reasonable amount (and sort of makes a ticking noise when warm like its just slightly catching a heat shield), not sure if it did previously. That could be a red herring though.

Having washed it over the weekend if it was brake related I'd have expected lots of scraping noises initially due to brake rust, but that's not the case. The acid test to confirm if its engine or drive train would be to turn the engine off whilst moving, but I'm not sure that's possible?
Appreciate 0