03-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #151
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So, lets talk about the shake up in broadcasting. Sky vs. BBC, etc.

Anyone else here watch the new Sky broadcast?

My thoughts:
I don't like Simon, he just doesn't feel like he fits. Also, it doesn't really feel like he is into it. To me at least, I have no idea what his background is but I'll say it again, Simon is no Jake Humphrey. I enjoyed Brundle and Crofty, though Crofty made a few too many mistakes but it was his first race. So I can forgive that. Brundle was on his usual form and was good. However, the cut to Georgie Thompson and David Anthony was bad. The entire segment should be David Anthony alone, as Georgie Thompson served absolutely no purpose and had nothing to contribute, ever. (I didn't even find her all that attractive, if that was suppose to be her role.) The pre-qualy and pre- race shows had no continuity and just jumped all over the place. They would show a 30second segment intro when the segment itself was only 20 seconds long. This is like broadcasting 101, the intro can't be longer than the content. In the end, I felt myself nearly bored until Brundle's grid-walk. Hopefully they get better, but it's no BBC coverage.

I'm going to watch the BBC highlight clip when I get a chance, hopefully they did it right.
I think you mean Anthony Davidson he used to test for Toyota, and raced for Super Aguri. I thought he was good, but she was completely useless.

I caught the Sky broadcast this weekend as I was in the UK , and I agree with you for the most part. Simon sucks, he has no enthusiasm and his questions are awkward at times. The main post-race interviewer of all the drivers (Natalie something?) is AWFUL as well. Her questions were horrendously awkward - she kept repeating herself; you could sense the drivers were laughing at her, not with her, at times. They should have hired the old BBC interviewer (leigh mckenzie) who was terrific - the post-race interview of Hamilton at Monaco last year stands out to me as to how you do an interview well. I'm not too fond of Damon Hill, either - I don't feel he adds anything over Martin Brundle, and he tends to go off on tangents that are neither funny nor interesting.

As far as race commentary goes, I hated Croft. I actually felt it would have been better to have silence at times. He gets too riled up and excited, as if he is trying to imitate Murray Walker, but has none of the charisma or charm of the latter. It is very difficult to pull off the Murray Walker persona, and in this way, Croft reminded me of a poor version of James Allen, rather than Murray.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer precise, insightful comments over talking for the purpose of talking, which I felt Croft did at many occasions. For that reason, I really liked the Coulthard-Brundle combo; there were a few moments of radio silence last year, but their commentary was usually spot on and extremely insightful.

Brundle, as always, was great. It's too bad the team around him is a bit poor.

As far as the actual production...there's simply no comparison. The BBC pre-race shows were head over heels better than Sky - although we have to cut them some slack for producing their first ever F1 Grand Prix.

Other thoughts?

Last edited by Echo M3; 03-19-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0