View Single Post
      04-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Drop-in Air Filter Dyno Test - K&N vs Helene vs Stock

I did some air filter testing today at Harman Motive using their AWD Mustang Dyno which, by the way, is encased in a fabulous steel cell with tons of air moving through it. It's truly the nicest dyno setup I've ever seen. Anyway, on to the testing.

It should be noted that my car, a 2008 335xi Coupe, has a JuiceBox (JB2) and has the secondary cats removed from an otherwise stock exhaust.

The testing was performed today. Boost was sampled from the BOV "T," while AFR was sampled using an Innovate LM-1 from the right-side tailpipe. 3 runs were done per filter, with two minutes cool-down time inbetween each run. The 3rd run from each test is displayed below, though there wasn't much different from the first two (using the 3rd because the car was heated up identically for this run and so that adaptation would be likely complete). Several wide open throttle pulls were made starting from various RPMs and gears prior to testing on each filter in order encourage proper adaptation.

Here are the results:
Stock vs K&N - K&N gained 5whp with essentially the same torque as stock.

Stock vs Helene - Helene gained 13whp and about 5wtq across the curve, though no more peak torque than stock.

Helene vs K&N - Helene gained 8whp and about 3wtq across the curve.

Stock vs K&N (K&N is dotted line)

Stock vs Helene (Helene is dotted line)

Helene vs K&N (K&N is dotted line)

Because of these test results, Harman Motive will be carrying the Helene Performance Streamline filter for the 335. They should have them in stock within the next month, though pricing is still TBD.

Congrats to Helene Performance for a truly impressive air filter!

Last edited by Scott B; 04-06-2008 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0