NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Not sure why people keep saying this.

There is a 6FL retrofit kit http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...L+USB+Retrofit

I even got as far as ordering it before the dealer realised it wasn't compatible with my radio ('Professional'). This was a while back, there might be an option available now that is compatible for me.

My dealer didn't even know what the kit was until I waved the part number at them.

Failing that, there is the factory fitted iPod interface kit, your dealer will know all about it, its not fantastic but it works pretty well - it's what I ended up getting.

If you dont want to go the BMW route there is a company called Denison who make a product called the Gateway 500 which also provides a proper iPod interface.

There are a number of other iPod for BMW interfaces you can find on the web, they pretty much all seem to be incompatible with the E9x series although some of the companies / resellers are not clear on the topic - avoid these.
The USB retro-fit does not appear to be a true 6fl retro fit.

Instead it seems to be simply the dealer fit ipod connection plus a USB port. The USB port is not configured for IPODs in the same way as the 6fl factory fit option.

It would be fine if you just wanted to play tracks from a compatible USB key, but for IPOD's it's still nowhere near as good as the factory fit USB.
Appreciate 0