View Single Post
      06-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

My views for what they are worth:

1) I bought my last two BMW's, one new one ex-management, on Lease Purchase, since the ability to choose your balloon payment really reduces monthly payments. You take the risk on the eventual value of your car, but can set a sensible value.

2) I am very skeptical of depreciation figures on any publically accessible web site (AA, What Car, or whatever). My experience of about my last 5 cars is that you should take the lowest part-ex value given on these sites and reduce it by about 10%-15% to get the real value you will be offered by a dealer. I've never been quite sure why this is, but I've been stung so many times by this, sometimes finding myself totally unable to afford the car I wanted as a result.

3) Likewise I am skeptical of the 'purchase' values on the BMW system. I bought my current E91 this way, and my dealer was adamant they had to pay £22k for my 320d, yet there were literally dozens of 320d's of the same spec on the BMW.co.uk used car website for around the £22.5k mark. There is no way all these other dealers were selling their cars for only £500 profit.

4) I would get the 335i if it were me, as I'd always wish I'd bought the better car. You could always wait a bit and see if a 335i comes up in a spec/colour closer to what you want - the new 330i will still be there as a fall-back.
Appreciate 0