Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnt View Post
Already mentioned, you would need to clean the screen too often but that was not the reason they did not implement a touch screen. With the touch screen you need to lift your arm and aim with your finger to a small icon or button. This will grab your attention for far longer than the current iDrive does. I agree that some more buttons near the controller would be handy, or on the steering wheel. It is safer to have controls in the places your arms rest anyway than in places a driver should touch while driving anyway. Think about it, AUDI and MB are implementing the same idea, MB had it with buttons arround the screen, and the screen was placed low on the dash, and now they will change it to a higher position with a central controller and some buttons.

Several companies are following this pattern, more will do so soon. It's the safer way known to control so many functions while driving. Speech recognition could surpass it, but it is too early IMO.

my GF own a honda and that GPS was great !! is so easy to use and is touchscreen and the screen is not dirty all the time,

it had the buttons arround the screen plus is touchscreen, if you want to listen to music you press sound to navigate you press NAV to see the map you press MAP
went you press NAV it comes another menu with big buttons that says address,POI, recent places, home, and set up.
you can find places by name or by phone #

Honda NAV is extremely easy to use , I find idrive more complicated and more distracting however that's just me. that's why I did not get it. I have a nuvi instead if I need a address I just get it out of the glovebox and that it and I love it no problems what so ever and is actually really fast it calculating the routes plus you get traffic info

Last edited by calvino; 01-31-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0