View Single Post
      03-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #59
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

DIS is the program the dealers use. I think it's called Dealer Information Service, but not sure. It's similar to INPA/NCS but you can't do any coding on it. If you also have TIS installed with DIS, it shows you how to repair. I have learned a lot of info on the transfer case from this. Such as, in order to replace servo motor, you do not need to remove transfer case. All you do is remove the connectors (electrical and vent tube), remove the bolt in the middle of the motor, and then remove the three bolts holding motor onto transfer case. To install, just do the reverse. Looks really simple.

As I understand it, though I still could be wrong, is that the servo motor receives a signal from the transfer case control unit that slip is occuring. The servo motor then operates to move a "lever arm" inside the transfer case that engages the multi-disc clutch that transfers power to front axle.

So, it could be my servo motor is bad, the control unit is bad (not sure where this is located), or the clutch pack or something else inside transfer case is bad. I'll do a bit more investigating when weather is better.
Appreciate 0