View Single Post
      10-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Alpine Upgrade & Satnav

Have recently had Alpine Audio Upgrade installed by dealer. Sound quality much improved. However have factory fitted satnav which delivers voice commands through front speakers only. Because of the delay in powering up the Alpine amp, (ie on detection of an input, as opposed to a remote from the head unit) I often lose the first part of the voice command (often most of it!). Currently get around problem by switching on radio at low volume thus keeping the amp continuously powered.
My amp would appear to have about a 2 secs delay on powering up, (ie with an audio source I hear the directly fed rear speakers 2 secs before any sound from the amp fed fronts) and will stay powered up for 30 secs after removal of input signal.
If my experience normal? Bmw reckon the delay is only 0.5 secs. This sounds far less than I have ever heard, and if they are correct, they have supplied me with a faulty amp! In my opinion, I see this as a design fault, ie whilst the upgrade is an excellent, value for money, audio upgrade, it is not compatible with the factory fitted satnav that requires the amp to be on at any time it is issueing a voice command. What are the experience of other users? Is a 2 sec delay normal?

Last edited by lakesman; 10-28-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: small error
Appreciate 0