View Single Post
      05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Kwik E Mart
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
i wouldnt be too concerned about it doesnt eat paint does it? what are the noticable differences that you feel? smoother acceleration and better fuel economy?
overall increased responsiveness, especially from a stop...huge difference...there was a good thread in here a while back on the subject, but i can't find it anymore...here's what one member posted, which seems like a good description of how these work...

"To clear up a few misconceptions here...

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines."