Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsnRoberts View Post
I don't have anyone else to tell my stories to except here. Read if you would like! Help if it makes you feel good inside.

I took my 08 328i the dealer yesterday to have the battery replaced under warranty. It was not holding a charge but for a week or so then i would have to rejump. Did this for a month before I decided I needed to fork over the cash for a new one. I went and got a battery and came here for a DIY. The first post I saw was that they were warranty'ed up through 50k ect.
So off to the dealership. I drop and they say no problem!
They call me the next day and say someone has tampered with the battery leads and the "pyrotechnics" have done off so it needs to be replaced. The car cannot go to sleep properly at night and that is what is causing the dead battery. Total "$754 U.S."
Now, I am an depot electronics tech for the military. SO i know a thing or two about electronics in aircraft and in general. (I dont know everything though) But I do know pyrotechnics is not an electronics term. Shit, thats an ordinance term and last i checked they arn't putting fucking fireworks in the trunk either.
SO... I go here. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=61&fg=30
Every single part there does not cost $754 (+40% markup) and $1xx per hour labor they charge. Id assume if anything is blown it would be the fuse in the power distribution box. Am I right or are they right?
Read up on Battery Safety Terminal (BST) that's what they are talking about. There's a small explosive charge on the positive terminal which disconnects power from the engine/chassis in the event of a crash (to prevent the chassis from becoming electrified since the main power cables runs along of side of the vehicle).

There is a youtube video explaining the basics of the BST Here. It's from an E46 but the premise is the same.

It's possible for the BST to become damaged (especially if no care was taken in replacing a battery, etc.) and it requires replacement. There should be a cable which plugs into the side of the BST which runs along the car to the MRS module (the airbag/restraint system).

The part itself is a little over $150 and it comes as a repair kit. With a new BST module and a new connector you can splice into the wire if the connector itself is damaged.

The part numbers in RealOEM for 61129217031 for the BST itself and 61129130178 for the repair cable kit. You'll most likely need both.

Here's a picture of the BST from RealOEM Here

I know this from experience, I had to recently replace the BST on my vehicle because it went screwy and started throwing up MRS errors.

Last edited by Dracon; 01-18-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0