United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
ANYONE trying runflats and "real" tires back-to-back on an E90/92 would have the same impression. Hell, I was already grinning by the time I exited the parking lot of the tire store. I've yet to see anyone who's made the switch do anything but rave about the upgrade. OTOH there are plenty of people who never have experienced both who are steadfastly defending runflats. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Too bad, they're missing out on turning their great car into a really great car.
I have driven both and for normal driving, I would still keep my RFT's. I have driven almost identical cars back to back (RFT vs. nonRFT). I drive an E90 330i equipped with 18 inch Bridgestone Potenza RFT's. The same day I had the opportunity to take an E90 330i wearing aftermarket wheels and non-rft's (can't remember the exact model tire) for a couple of laps around Limerock Park (CT).

True, there is a difference in comfort. There is also a slight handling benefit to the non-RFT's. But unless you are doing completely ridiculous maneuvers on public roads, you would need a track to truly see the difference. From a convenience and safety standpoint, I'll stick with my stock tires.

Each person's driving conditions varies greatly. What I would have given to have had RFT's when I got 2 simultaneous flat tires after hitting a huge pothole in Brooklyn or the time my wife got a flat on the NJ turnpike.
Appreciate 0