View Single Post
      10-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #428
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3er

Just been reading all of this thread and thought i would add my experience with the cracked wheel. See this quoted response from BMW Hungerford when i asked for an explanation of the tests done and the verdict on my wheel/tyre.

"Explanation of the run out test:

The tyre is removed from the wheel and placed on the balancing machine, a dial is fitted to the wheel and then it is spun manually. The dial will pick a point in the wheel and then measure the lowest point of the rim and the highest. The highest will be the crack. When the wheel is turned the wheel will start to move side to side. The dial measures the ovality and this is the measurement for impact. If the measurement is under 2.0, then this will be deemed as below BMW tolerance, if the measurement is above 2.0mm then it is deemed as impact damage.
The measurement for your alloy was 2.66mm.

I have spoken to our tyre/wheel technician who fitted the replacement wheel and he is unable to confirm how long the wheel has been in that condition. It could of happened 4 weeks ago or 4 months, it is difficult to tell as the wheel obviously travels through various bumps in the road, puddles, mud etc. However there were no signs of run flat damage to the tyre so this shows the tyre had not been leaking pressure. "

Its left me confused as i thought the tolerance was 3mm?
Appreciate 0