Rep
Drives: e90 328

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Fortin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalpha View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2011 335i and I am considering a Viper/DEI alarm for it. I could really care less about the alarm aspect of it, I would pretty much want it for convenience features; but the alarm would be an added benefit. I would like to have remote start.

I currently have a Viper 5901 installed on my S2000, and I really like it; so naturally, I would consider the 5901 or maybe the 5902 for the BMW.

I do not have comfort access.

I have a few questions:
  1. I have done a little research and read that I would need a DLPK. How does the DLPK compare to the Fortin EVO-ALL or the EVO-CAN? Also, Fortin's site lists the EVO-ALL and the EVO-CAN as compatible modules for the car. Is there a reason to go with one over the other?
  2. If using a DLPK or one of the Fortin modules, would you need to wire up any other wires that would not be connected via a CAN module (i.e. power, ground, ignition, etc.), or do all the alarm wires connect to the DLPK and then the DLPK to the car?
  3. When using the DLPK, is there a way to take advantage of the current convenience features of the car? I would like to keep the factory window roll-down option, but would like to add in rolling up the windows from the keyfob as well. Would I need to purchase a DEI 530t to make this work, or could this be controlled through the CAN module?
  4. Are there any immobilizer bypass units that do not require a key? I couldn't find any BMW products from iDataLink. I noticed that the Fortin EVO-CAN and the Fortin EVO-ALL require a key, but I also saw that Fortin offers an INT-BMW2. Could both modules be installed to work together?
  5. Could controlling the side mirrors from the remote be added as a feature without any additional modules?
  6. I'm not sure I care about the SmartStart feature, but I have thought about it. Any reason to either get it or not get it?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some questions, but this is all I can think of for now.

Also, if anyone that has had one installed could provide some advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Mark
Personally I use the Fortin INT BMW2, and an Evo Can. I find these work best. You have to hook up can wires, ground, power to the remote start, and split two brake wires. There are several connections to be make between the two bypass module and you do have to do a key wrap. For the wrap I use a 24 guage wire 10 times around the ignition and 10 around the key. The int bmw2 plugs into the back part of the push button. Make sure you wrap is tight and taped very well.

As for oem options if you call Fortin they will definitely know what will work and what doesn't.

If you haven't done this already and are a lil bit patient Titan is bringing out a touch screen remote stater. I have found their products to be very reliable, and have had a lower warranty rate using this product in my shop.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0