04-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #35
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Pre-calibration. Post calibration level matching should only be necessary for midbass and subwoofer channels.

The pre-cal level setting procedure I use is as follows:

- sit in passenger seat
- position microphone in driver head position (spot between ears), pointing at ceiling. You can hold by hand or fixate to head rest. I use iPhone RTA app with external mic but internal one also works well for this purpose.
- go into the "secret" menu (hold "left" button on remote 3 seconds, then "right" button 3 seconds, then "left" again until the menu appears.
- choose "output identification", this plays pink noise through each channel. Make sure MS-8 volume level is turned down, at least -25dB.
- play pink noise for CH1 and adjust MS-8 volume to reach at least 75dB
- record the output of each channel (don't touch MS-8 volume again)
- then use amp gains to match channels as closely as possible, within 2-3dB
- subwoofer channel is different, set amp gain to min. and listen to sweep volume during calibration. You should be able to hear the sweep, but definitely not feel it!
- exit secret menu and recalibrate
Kaig
I have tried this in the past and no difference at all. I do not understand the reason of doing it, as thats MS-8 job. May be I am missing something.
I get the best results, if keep the amp gains at 2V input and calibrate.