04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Takeshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Cabriolet

RIP. Very sad indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
This is truly tragic and I share the OP's sentiments...I would personally not feel comfortable doing this but we must be careful not to make choices that other people are quite capable of making. I do hope she (and he) fully understood the risks and chose to participate on an informed basis, but if they did so, we shouldn't second guess. Life (and enjoyment of life) involves risks. Sometimes the dice come up the wrong way.
I agree. I've been on the track both driving my own car and as passenger in my friend's cars. It's a great experience that I think everyone should try at least once. I can understand some people not comfortable with taking their wives or girlfriends with them, but there are many that do bring their significant other to the track and it's a very memorable and safe experience for the vast majority of them.

It also depends on the people you track with. I've been on tracks where there are no rules. People are constantly battling for position, riding each other's bumpers, cutting each off. And I've been to controlled races where the number of cars is limited, passing is prohibited on corners and you have wait for the guy in front of you to signal before u may pass. I admit its more fun when there are no rules but I wouldn't go back cuz at the end of the day I spent too much money on my car to risk crashing it. Not to mention the fact that I want to go home alive.

And of course the most important is how you drive yourself. If you're coming around a corner and there are no cars around you and there's no walls nearby, you can push your car a little harder since the worse that can probably happen is you slide off the track and onto the grass. But if I am near the pit lane which has a wall or if there are cars around me, I'm going drive a bit slower.

I think if you drive carefully and you're in controlled race where people respect the rules, I think it's ok to bring your girlfriend along to enjoy the ride. Is it perfectly safe? No. Obviously you're driving fast and there is still a risk, but if there was no risk at all, it wouldn't be worth doing, would it? People die in skiing accidents, drown in kayaking or fishing trips. Bunjee cords snap, parachutes can fail when you're skydiving. Does that mean all of these activities are too dangerous?
Appreciate 0