View Single Post
      01-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Thanks Guys- This is turning out to be quite fun...I've got this weekend blocked off to do a bunch of data acquisition with my aerospace friend. Luckily he has the equipment to hook up 20 test points at a time that measure wind speed and pressure... which is a HUGE advantage for testing purposes. If I were to have to manually move every a single manometer hose each session that would take wayyy too long.

Front Splitter is made of 3/8" Hi Density Polyethylene (plastic), which will be soft and flexible, yet very very strong.
Side skirts/undertrays/prototype diffuser were all made of 1/8" ABS Plastic. Very strong, decently light.
Final production of the diffuser is a mold/carbon fiber. This includes all the vertical strakes, mounting points, etc. So the entire diffuser is only 3 pieces that is riveted together once installed.

My next steps with this project are:
1) Make the a 3-piece mold of the rear diffuser out of carbon fiber (entire diffuser, mounts and strakes will be made of 3 pieces: 2 sides and one center) This will be a rough version- not worried about making it look super pretty at this point.

2) Lower car to track height (Splitter being 3.65" off the ground) and conduct extensive pressure and airflow testing to determine how much downforce is created where. (This weekend)

3) Build underbody system (splitter, side skirts, underbody, diffuser) for another local E90 335 with dual mufflers...possibly different diffuser design

4) Build underbody system (splitter, side skirts, underbody, diffuser) for another local E92 M3 with dual mufflers

If this all goes well; I might be looking at marketing this to the E9x enthusiasts First I need to get hard facts and figures to show this actually does make a substantial difference.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0