10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Playing with the Combox system for iPhone 5

Hey Everyone,

I have been getting curious about how my combox system works with regards to BMW Apps and the snap-in adapter. Since I picked up an iPhone 5 I have lost the ability to use my snap-in adapter. The main thing I miss is the iPod Out functionality (called PlugIn by BMW). The issue here is that the Ipod out function requires an analog composite video output to the correct pin on the old 30-pin connector. Since the iPhone 5 went to an all digital connector (lightning) there are no analog outputs and this functionality does not work. I know BMW has a new snap-in adapter in the works that would presumably have built in DAC's for both video and audio to make this functionality work again. Sadly this may mean it will be pretty $$$.

The 30-pin to lightning adapter fixed one issue in that it has a built in Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC) for audio. What I am hoping is that someone will come out with a lightning to 30-pin adapter that replicates all the functionality of the old 30-pin connector (i.e. has a DAC for audio and one for video). If this comes to pass I would be able to plug this in to my iPhone 4/4s snapin adapter and be good to rock and roll. They might even consider picking up the phones headphone jack as that could be used as an analog audio signal to feed in to the car.

I decided to try an experiment yesterday with regards to the Combox. There are two USB inputs on the Combox (one blue and one black). There was also another USB cable taped back at the Combox. I suspect, however, that this is due to an issue I had on delivery of my car. The two connectors in use are keyed so they can't be swapped but I took apart the connector and plugged the wires in directly (and swapped them). When I went in to the car and hooked up my iPhone to the USB port via my apple cable it registered in the iDrive as a snap-in. I was not able to select the Plug-In function though and when I tried to play music through the regular interface it played through the phones speaker. This does tell me something though. The snap-in adapter uses the phones DAC for audio.

I would love to get my hands on a wire diagram (with pins identifications) for the wiring between the center console and the Combox. I am willing to bet there are analog video and audio wires between the base plate and the combox that are used to transport signals for iPod out and Video out.
Appreciate 0